Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thanksgiving: A Reflection on Blessings

Thanksgiving:  A Reflection on Blessings

I have always loved Thanksgiving. In fact, it is one of my most favorite holidays.  I would even go so far as to say that I like it better than Christmas.  Why?  Well, there is so much to be thankful for, and it is a whole day that is designated solely to honor and remember those blessings for which we give thanks.  I still maintain and encourage others to remember and give thanks every day, not just on Thanksgiving.  It's so important to remember that your life is full of blessing and promise, even if it may not seem that way.  Each day each smile shared, every breath taken is a precious and special gift that deserves thanks year round and not just on one day.  Well, at least that's my opinion. 

Anyway, I was reminded on numerous occasions during this Thanksgiving holiday just how blessed we are by the people who surround us.  Jason and I took the kids and loaded up the van early on Thanksgiving morning to set out for a much awaited day with family and friends. We started our morning at my parent's house, and the kids and I visited while Jason was at football. Then, we went to my Grandma Kepple's to celebrate with my Kepple family. After that, we packed up and headed to Grove City for Thanksgiving with the Hackwelder's.  It was a great day, and we really enjoyed our time spent with our families.  My sister Holly prayed a beautiful prayer at our Kepple Thanksgiving, and she asked God to guide Elizabeth's surgeons and doctors in her upcoming surgery. It was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. 



Even though I was still in some pain and discomfort from my fall on the ice the previous Saturday, I was able to go out Black Friday Shopping.  This year, I had the privilege to go out shopping twice with my beautiful sister-in-law Nuria, and my also beautiful niece, Sadie, joined us on our trip to Grove City's Wal Mart. It was a lot of fun to spend time with them. Nuria and I even got to have a nice, quiet lunch where we were able to talk, laugh, and enjoy some time to ourselves.  I also snuck in some shopping with my Grandma Kepple and my Aunt Debbie, which I have been able to do on Black Friday for the past 16+ years. I love them both, and our time shopping together on this day is something that I look forward to and cherish every year. I did get all of my Christmas Shopping done, and I was very thankful for the medicine that the doctor prescribed to me for my aching back, ribs and tailbone.  Otherwise, I would have missed out on this shopping tradition.  I finished off Black Friday by going to my Grandma Kepple's and watching my sister and mom decorate her house.  (haha) Celtan helped to decorate the tree, which he enjoyed very much!  Elizabeth sat up and played at a little desk, and it was great to be able to see her do that. 



Saturday morning I was greeted by a lovely surprise when I went to get Elizabeth in her crib.  She was sitting up in her crib, and I could not believe it. I had never seen her do that before, and it was amazing to see her accomplish such a huge milestone.  However, I had no idea what other surprises were in store for Saturday.  My sister Holly picked me up around lunch time, and we headed to Chili's for lunch with my Kepple cousins. Each year my cousins and I sponsor local families in need and go shopping together to buy things for them.  The plan was to go for lunch and the go shopping.  First, let me say that my Kepple cousins have been some of my closest friends, and we share a special bond.  (Below is a VERY old picture of us!) We are like sisters, really.  My Kepple aunts and uncles also have been a huge part of my life, just like my Bly side of the family, and I am so grateful for the love and support that they have all given to me not only now, but throughout my life.  I grew up surrounded by a huge, loving family, and this has been one of my greatest blessings. This day, at lunch, my Kepple cousins overwhelmed me with a gift that reinforced the enormous blessing and support system they are in my life.  Let's just say that I was lured to lunch under false pretenses, and the gift that they gave to Jason and I is still overwhelming to me.  In fact, I sobbed at lunch, I cried all weekend, and I still get tears in my eyes just thinking about it.  The gift was on behalf of my Kepple side of the family, and although I have said thank you to them it will never be enough. When I got home, I was greeted with another surprise from a friend.  It was a lovely card with a gift card inside.  The kind words in the card meant so much to me.  We closed Saturday evening with the Bly Family Thanksgiving and a surprise birthday party for my Uncle Mike.  He was surprised, and it was a great way to end this day that was full of surprises. Sometimes, we are surprises by blessings.  Today was one of those days. I already knew that I was blessed, but today was a living, breathing, real example of the many blessings in my life. 


On Sunday, I attended Chicora's Light Up Night.  It was an awesome community event, and I was honored to have been asked to sing that night as part of the entertainment. I share the stage with my sister, Becca, and cousin, Hannah.  Each and every performing group that night displayed amazing talent.  Elizabeth stayed home with Jason, and I took Celtan with me to Light Up Night.  I could not have been more proud than when he stood in front of a huge crowd of people and sang Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer with us.  He also was very excited to see Santa. We had a great time.  I was reminded of what a wonderful community I am from and grew up in.  It was an honor to participate and to be there that evening.  I would like to thank everyone involved in putting the event together!


Sunday closed out with mounting anxiety for me about Elizabeth's upcoming surgery.  I knew she was in good hands, but I couldn't hold off the nervousness. I was also very sore,because I way over did it during the holiday break. However, I was all rewarded with many blessings and the precious gift of time spent with loved ones. 




No comments:

Post a Comment